Volunteer Car Scheme
Published: 20 August 2019
What you can expect from the Volunteer Car Scheme
Our Volunteer Car Scheme is a non-profit making service where volunteer drivers kindly offer their time and use of their cars to support those members of the community who, due to mobility problems, are unable to use other forms of transport. In order to ensure that the service runs effectively for both you and our volunteers, we would like you to note the following:
- The transport desk is usually manned by volunteers Monday to Friday, 9.30am-2.30pm. Tel: 01233 633219 - you can leave a message at other times and someone will call you back.
- If the phone is not answered during opening hours, it is likely that volunteers are on another phone arranging trips with our volunteer drivers – please leave a message on the answerphone and we will get back to you as soon as we can.
- All journeys must be booked through the office with at least three working days’ notice.
- Currently there is an annual membership charge of £15 a year, a booking fee of £2 per journey, plus a mileage charge of 50p per mile. Charges are calculated from the driver’s home, so journey costs may vary.
- Drivers will wait for up to an hour and a half at no extra cost (if you have a very long return journey this will need to be discussed at the time of booking).
- At the time of booking you will need to inform the office if you have any health issues or anything relevant to your journey which the driver would need to be aware of.
- Drivers ARE NOT allowed to lift or manoeuvre anyone in or out of their cars. If you have difficulty in this area it is your responsibility to find assistance.
- Drivers are able to offer an arm for guidance only.
- It is not part of the driving service to assist with or carry clients’ shopping.
- If you are a wheelchair user and can transfer to a car seat yourself we have some vehicles able to carry a folded chair.
- If you need to change or cancel your journey we would be grateful if you could let the office know as soon as possible to save the driver a wasted journey. You will be charged for the trip if you cancel after the driver has set off to collect you.
- When you become a member you will be asked if you wish to pay by cash or would prefer to receive an invoice for your trips at the end of each month. If you choose to pay by cash you will need to pay the driver each time you take a trip.
- If you have a Blue Badge please take this with you on trips as the driver can use this to get you closer to your destination.
- On rare occasions we have exceptionally high demand for the service and will not have enough volunteer drivers to meet demand. We can therefore not guarantee that all of your trip requests can be met.
If you wish to discuss any of the above please call the Transport Office on 01233 633219. Thank you!
8 Elwick Road
Tel: 01233 633219